Online marketing is today a key component of any business promotion activity. If you have a blog with good reputation and a decent traffic you can use it to sell a product and thus earn some hard cash. Many blogs have been hugely benefited by products like Google AdSense and other marketing programs. But everyone do not succeed in selling products through their blog. As with any marketing strategy you should go about this with a clearly laid out plan. The good part about this is it isn’t that difficult to promote a product through your blog and if you pay attention to some crucial aspects you can turn your readers into customers.
Tips to sell a product through your blog
1. Instead of crowding your blog posts with product specs and other boring flat descriptions, try to tell some interesting user stories.
2. Every product has a use and this can be imaginatively projected in your blogging post. For example, if your product is a trekking shoe used to tackle tough terrain then you can post interesting snippets about the difficult terrains in the world and how this product is useful
3. Post a customer centric post. Every product helps the customer face a specific challenge and you can focus on that challenge and explain how it needs to be solved and that the product will help the customer do it.
4. Talk about all the things a customer has to endure by not using the product. For example how he would have to face cramped toes, sore feet, blisters etc, if he do not use the trekking shoes.
5. Talking about problems faced due to a particular condition and the methods to overcome it (by way of using your product) helps you to increase your website’s ranking in search engines.
6. Give some useful and well researched information which talks about the product but not necessarily promotional. For example if you wish to sell contact lenses talk about how contact lenses are better than wearing spectacles and the medical benefits. This will bring in many traffic browsing for academic interests
7. Set a stage to sell your product. Don’t just hit the visitor with buy now messages instead build in a case where the viewer feels it is really in his interest to purchase the product.
8. Remember that the primary aim of any visitor is to get some information on the product and most come in for just browsing. So bold sales messages may scare them away. You should subtly turn the browser into a buyer.
9. Always do contextual linking. That is link to the product websites which are related to the content of your website. If your blog talks about causes and cure for diabetes you can link to a website selling medicines for diabetes.
10. Use limited links and do not be over ambitious and go for too many links. This not just confuses the visitor but also might result in decrease in traffic.
11. Use good and crisp sidebar. The trick is to promote relevant products which are in context with your blog.
12. Create a funnel. Bloggers might not immediately purchase your product. But you can ask them to subscribe for a mailer and thereby create a funnel which can be used during promotion campaigns
13. Accept credit cards. Accepting credit cards and paypal payments are vital for any sort of ecommerce.
14. The landing pages of the product need to be attractive and persuasive. It must be easy to navigate and descriptive.
15. Have a good blog content. No visitors means no sales. So ensure that your blog stays popular.